查看: 7409|回复: 5
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Reflow Toaster

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2012-1-4 10:09:27 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Reflow Toaster

If you've ever played with SMD devices, you know what a pain it can          be to solder tight pitch pins. Yes, we know others have used toaster          ovens for reflow soldering purposes. Yes, we have our own reflow oven          that cost 30 times as much. But where's the fun in that?
We have really built upon the shoulders of others here. There are          many more knowledge individuals that pioneered the field. We are only          here to re-hash and hopefully educate those in the art of toasting.
As of writing - we haven't reflowed anything. Well, at least not in          our 110V fire starter. Basically, I just want to share the information I          have obtained and the layouts I have created. And I'm too impatient to          wait for the v2 PCB...
As usual, there are quite a few photos. I heard Hong Kong is going to          Gigabit internet connections. Isn't it time for you to upgrade that 56k          modem? My apologies to all users still on slow connections.
All the usual warnings apply: A toaster oven can          kill you. It could certainly burn down your house. Lead is bad.          Don't eat from a toaster oven that's cooked PCBs.
SMD Reflow Tutorials:

What can you do with a toaster oven?
These cheap-o units from Tar-chez can cost a meager $50. A toaster          can hit 230C with relative ease. This is hot enough to melt solder paste          allowing home hobbyist the ability to 'cook' PCBs. All that is needed is          a controller to heat the toaster to a specific profile. This is all          because of a         posting on the SFE Support Forum...
Picture of the premo profile off our $2300 reflow oven. By the way, this reflow oven didn't work.
All we aim to create is an embedded system that takes in temperatures          and actuates a relay that controls the heating elements - effectively          controlling the temperature. That's where the Reflow Toaster Controller          comes into play. But first, we must purchase and immediately destroy a          perfectly good toaster oven!

I think I paid $60 at Target (local chain - basically          WalMart) for this guy :
Oster Model 6293

Inside tray. A dry-run test proved this baby can heat          up like crazy. The lights dimming across my house gave me a fuzzy          feeling in my stomach as well.

The front control panel - soon to be circumvented.

Inside. Notice the two heating elements on top and          bottom. It's got to be better than just two, right?

Don't immerse in water?!? Damn. 1500W is important to          know though.

Hmm.

Getting there. It was actually pretty hard. I'm not          sure if I can get it back together...

Ahah!

Guts. Back-side of the control panel knobs.

Guts 2.

The annoying bell.

The entire oven seems very simple, yet well designed          to withstand the extreme use of 10-12 years of high-temperature          stressing.

An overhead shot of the AC transformer?

I tore into the timer dial hoping to find some sort of          a relay that could be digitally controlled.

The timer dial exposed: In retrospect, this was a          foolish thing to think. All low-cost ovens such as this Oster operate          with the bare minimum of parts. A power relay just wouldn't be included.

Controller Time -
Ok - so that's the oven we would like to use. But how to control it          close enough to reflow expensive PCBs?
First we need a thermocouple. Thermo-what? A thermocouple is a type          of temperature probe that can withstand the very high temperatures          (>100C) of the toaster oven. There are a lot of different thermo-whats          out there. The type-K thermocouple is the most common (at least in my          opinion). Type-K refers to the two types of metals that are combined to          create the thermocouple sensor. I don't dare bore you with the          specifics. The Analog Devices datasheet for the         AD595AQ IC explains the entire principle very nicely.
Not surprisingly, you can pick these up from quite a few vendors on          the internet. The tricky part is taking the voltage change distributed          by the physical nature of the thermocouple and turning that into a          temperature. Segway back to the AD595AQ! This very expensive DIP package          was built for such a thing. Attach a K-type thermocouple, power the          thing at 5V, and you've got a 10mV/C output! There are many other ways          to skin this cat, many are cheaper, but all are far more complex then          this tight package. And it WORKS! The readings agree nicely with our         infrared temperature gun.
We are only looking for +/-1 or 2 degree C accuracy over the oven. So          we can take the 10mV/C voltage levels directly into the 10-bit ADC          (4.88mV per bit) found on most 16F PIC microcontrollers. If you've read          anything on the         Spark          Fun Support Forum, you'll know I love the 16F88 PIC. Simply because          it is a work horse, it's got an ADC, it's cheap, and it can be         boot loaded!
So we've got the microcontroller to read temp data, now we need to          turn on and off the oven. With a 1500W oven on 120VAC, that's 12.5A that          needs to be turned on and off. Any normal relay would probably melt or          fail after a few hundred cycles. While my co-worker (Pete) really wants          to see the first option occur, I opted for a relay that wouldn't tack          weld itself together. A short search on Digikey produced many options.          My only recommendation is not to confuse the coil type with the paddle          rating. I thought I needed a 120VAC relay. I accidentally ordered a          relay that required 120VAC to actuate. My poor PIC couldn't actuate a          relay like this. Instead, find a relay with a coil rating of 5V or          12VDC. Most relays will be able to control AC voltages, it is the coil          voltage that needs to match your DC circuit. We chose a 12VDC coil the          second time around with a 30A rating. Testing in time will tell - we          haven't got them yet...
So the PIC can take temp readings, and based on those readings, turn          on/off the relay. Here is the schematic for         version 1 of the ReflowToaster. The PCB came out very well!

Simple through hole design

Just a few small problems with the layout. I messed up          the silkscreen/mechnical diameter of the two bulk capacitors. I also          forgot the current limiting resistor into the base of the BJT. I thought          it would work... It doesn't.

Here it is fully populated.

In action on my desk...

Re-thinking relays
At this point, I surprisingly have the board fully functional. The          limiter was the relay. When comparing the size of my dinky relay (PCB          Mount - 12VDC / 10A) with the massive heat shielded connectors of the          120VAC main wires, I decided to pause and contemplate my life. I'd          rather not screw this one up.
So I decided to order a bigger, heftier relay with Quick Connect          lugs. I'll still have to cut into the main wires and splice with heat          shield, but I'll feel a lot safer in the end.
Instead, I decided to re-design the toaster board. A fellow user on          the SFE Support Forum actually         recommended this project. I initially wanted to make a board that          relied entirely on a Windows VB program to control the profile. After an          hour or so of programming, it was obvious it would be much more          functional some day if it was stand alone. But I'll keep the RS232          interface for boot loading and data logging.
So I added a 2x16 LCD, three control buttons, and a hefty on-board          relay with solder lugs. Here is the         schematic. The PCB tripled in size, but I think it will be very nice          in the end.

Yea, it doesn't look like much - but it's going to be          very cool.
So now we wait for the new PCBs to come in. The code was          really simple and is not yet complete. The basics are there though :         ToasterControl-v01.c
We hope to put a kit together for under $100 for those          that would like to replicate our fire hazard. We'd love to get your          feedback on the         forum! Let us know about your reflow experiences as well.

分享到:  QQ好友和群QQ好友和群 QQ空间QQ空间 腾讯微博腾讯微博 腾讯朋友腾讯朋友 微信微信
收藏收藏1 分享分享 支持支持 反对反对
沙发
发表于 2012-3-5 19:39:04 | 只看该作者
谢谢楼主了,楼主辛苦了,呵呵
板凳
发表于 2012-5-3 06:48:52 | 只看该作者
不错的贴,太喜欢了,大家都顶啊
地板
发表于 2012-6-27 20:18:55 | 只看该作者
不错 学习了!
5#
发表于 2015-10-25 22:41:04 | 只看该作者
感谢楼主提供这么好的交流平台
6#
发表于 2017-2-11 14:20:44 | 只看该作者
还是路过!不错的想法!
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|文字版|手机版|DIY编程器网 ( 桂ICP备14005565号-1 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-24 11:53 , 耗时 0.109680 秒, 22 个查询请求 , Gzip 开启.

各位嘉宾言论仅代表个人观点,非属DIY编程器网立场。

桂公网安备 45031202000115号

DIY编程器群(超员):41210778 DIY编程器

DIY编程器群1(满员):3044634 DIY编程器1

diy编程器群2:551025008 diy编程器群2

QQ:28000622;Email:libyoufer@sina.com

本站由桂林市临桂区技兴电子商务经营部独家赞助。旨在技术交流,请自觉遵守国家法律法规,一旦发现将做封号删号处理。

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表